Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Hottest Hot Fudge

It's been the hottest Summer...ick
I have the hottest Fiance...yep
I've never been into the hottest trends...
possibly because skinny jeans don't nearly fit after eating the HOTTEST Hot Fudge, by the spoonful and I'm ok with that.  They don't look fun anyways....sweat pants are clearly a better option for some of us!

Honestly, let's talk about hot fudge for a second: there is nothing like it.  It's smooth, decadent, creamy, chocolaty, but like a different kind of chocolaty, a better kind of chocolaty, the hottest kind of chocolaty. 
It's my favorite food, I think!  Mmmm...... 

Alright...let's get to it: I purchased this AMAZING book at a thrift store called Hidden Treasures (how appropriate) for $3.99, so approximately the amount one would spend on a jar of smuckers or hershey's hot fudge.  Let's just say, I got my pennies worth!  I've also made fabulous cakes from this book......it was published in 1980...isn't it gorgeous....you know Maida isn't thinking about skinny jeans....just sayin'


In my opinion, Heavy cream is by far one of the greatest things.....EVER.  Honestly, I used it for a few years before looking at the nutritional facts....so if you haven't looked...guard your heart, I don't recommend it.
(insert soap box: the fat in there is better for you than the fat that comes from fake food, it's for real) 
Anywho, so when Cream is on sale, I buy it....just in case I need it at some point ;)  
Then comes a day I think, I need to use that creamy goodness....oh the possibilities.  I make meals first: Chicken Tikka (blog post needs to happen, best thing ever), Alfredo sauce...mmmmm, then of course you can actually whip the cream and use it on anything or in coffee.....ok, ok.....OR you can make hot fudge.  

 
Enough already....I'm full of words....because I just consumed some of this hot fudge straight from the pan onto my ice cream....but, if you didn't get anything else from this post, know this: YOU should make this fudge NOW. 

Hottest Hot Fudge
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sweet butter 
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar packed*
pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (it says dutch process, but I didn't have any)

Place the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stir until butter is melted and cream comes to a low boil.  Add both sugars and stir for a few minutes until they are dissolved.  (the surest test is to taste; cook and taste until you do not feel any sugar granules in your mouth) 
Reduce the heat.  Add the salt and cocoa and stir briskly with a small wire whisk until smooth.  Remove from heat.  

*I used a really dark brown sugar with high molasses content...because that is yummy. 

This can be refrigerated and stored for 1-2 weeks (if it lasts that long) 


 

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should add that it is incredible spread on top of rejected pb cookies? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am salivating!! I LOVE hot fudge too. I will have to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete