Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Old Fashioned Ginger Cookies

You wouldn't believe the post I've been "post"poning because of a weird funk I've been in...and you don't get to know about that for a bit longer...because I've decided to get over my issue, then discuss it later, with much laughter.  To stop putting things off, just because they are not perfect. 

That's all....even though some things are not perfect, including most of my life, which feels a bit out of control these days...these cookies...are perfection. 

This recipe is from a church cookbook and my Great Aunt Evelyn submitted the recipe....my Great Grandmother Grace most likely made these cookies for all 13 of her children...wonder how long a batch lasted...I could seriously just sit down and eat three of these babies and not look back. 

It's a shocker that I love this recipe...because I NEVER use shortening....but, it's key here...an old school secret for great molasses cookies :) There are just some things you don't change...like your great grandmothers molasses cookie recipe...that's sacred.

My favorite part is the cracks....they are just such beautiful cookies...then my other favorite part is that they are SO soft.  Seriously delicious!  They taste like Fall....Fall perfection.  If all attempts at perfection have failed you: try these cookies....no really, you should! 

Old Fashioned Ginger Cookies
1 1/2 cups Shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup dark molasses (I used black strap for the first time tonight...it's good)
4 cups flour
4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves

Cream shortening, add sugar and continue creaming.  Add eggs and molasses; beat well.  In a separate bowl, whisk flour, soda, salt, and spices together, add to shortening mixture, mix well.  
Shape into balls about 1 1/2 inch diameter (I actually make mine bigger...I use the big cookie scoop) Roll in sugar. Place 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet (I make 9 per pan) Bake at 350 for 10 minutes...or if you make bigger cookies, 13 minutes.  Until they crack on the top. 


Eat one of these while they are still warm!  Drink a glass of milk, if you're into that...make it Whole milk if you are naughty like me!  

1 comment:

  1. The cracks are"perfect!" I will have to try those...with Chloe's whole milk...hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete